Consulting with students

vote

Although I personally think learning to code is an ingenious way to teach all kind of skills I do not impose this on my students.  They learned to code and genuinely like to code.  I did what I wanted to do which was to expose my students to the basics of what it means to create technology and see what could be done with it.  My best students are now how discovering how coding could be used in the real world and are starting to see the possibilities of developing software on their own. Some students like to solve puzzles to express themselves and some students who are weak in many areas think that coding is the hook that keeps them going in my class.  We could have done many other things but now my students vote to continue using Hopscotch.   I am happy with their interest.  From my two classes, only one student said that he does not like Hopscotch.  He needed in the beginning to work collaboratively with other students as I think it seems foreign to him.  I am not sure if he said this because he wanted to defy me as he is a defiant student but I can see that after an initial learning curve, he is starting to write programs on his own, without help.  This student may have struggled in the beginning but he exceeded my expectations with using Hopscotch.

Not all students will become engineers, software developers or web designers, but they have happily learned the skills that allows them to use technology efficiently.