EdCamp Hamilton

The idea of EdCamp is quite interesting.  It was the first EdCamp to be done in Hamilton and a very interesting way of organizing a conference.  There are no keynote speakers and the participants create the questions they want to discuss.  Those questions are categorized, voted on and then become the focus of the discussion. Each person can learn from one another since each participant had something valuable to say.  In each session, there was a moderator who participated or started the discussion.  EdCamp allows participants to get to know each other a little bit and twitter handles were exchanged for further sharing/collaboration online.  It does not take a big name to make a significant change, every teacher can bring an idea or remind someone of something.  Having senior teachers present help to start the discussion and moderate if needed.  Having a place where isolated teachers can discuss and explore is very nice.

Technology as a distractor – There seems to be a crisis of attention.  People are multitasking but are they accomplishing something significant?  Someone discussed the study of the marshmallow effect.   I knew about that research.  Students who were able to wait the longest to eat the marshmallow were the more successful later in life.  In today’s world, students are not patient.  They want something now and they may not persevere to solve a problem if they are easily distracted.  It was interesting that someone mentioned that the EPSON company do not hire people younger than 30 years of age because they are too easily distracted by their device, they do not know what to do when their device rings or vibrate.  When in a sale situation, they should close the sale and disregard their device.  It was mentioned also that those who code need a very good focus in order to do their work.  Having a device close by can be less than helpful. What can we do to help this issue/ Someone made a short statement:  the Tribes program can be helpful in teaching listening and attention.  The situation is familiar to me and I thought the suggestion made was excellent. I have not used TRIBES very much in my teaching but I have now a very good reason to start using it.  TRIBES build community among the students but it has also the effect of teaching how to focus, away from our devices: a crucial lesson.

There were some discussion of how to assess student’s work.  I would need to read more about those ideas but it was mentioned that self-assessment could be used.  Natural feedback, interaction with peers, formative assessment.  I mentioned that I try to choose applications that would work on several platforms.  This would allow students to work in the classroom as well as in the lab where I can currently use NetSupport to oversee what students do and help them if they need to by directing  their computer.  NetSupport allows the teacher to control the student’s computer and type something for them.  It can be helpful to give feedback.  I am not aware of applications that does that.   I won a door prize:  a Gold account for NearPod.  From reading the description of NearPod, the application allows the teacher to at least see what the students using NearPod are doing.  I still have to look at this in detail.

The session about Problem based learning was interesting.  One participant made the distinction between problem-base learning and inquiry learning.  Problem-based learning may not necessarily have a driving question, it is learning based on a project.  With inquiry based, there is an initial question that needs to be solved, and the locust of control is student driven and is passion based.  There was several points mentioned by many people.  My contribution was to mention that I thought we model through inquiry what scientists and the industry is currently doing.  Most teachers are concerned about the environment and seeing what scientists are currently doing to help could be engaging.  I gave the example of the scientists who try to find the best way to grow algae in order to make green petrolium that takes away CO2 from the atmosphere.  My students are currently trying to see what are the best conditions to grow the algae.  I was inspired by AlJazeera science programs I had seen on Twitter and on the French program Découverte.  I was given another source of good ideas for projects, a book I readily ordered.

The main idea is to empower the students to do self-directed learning, to do learning that is meaningful to them.  There should be shared power.

I do try to do that in my class by giving my students projects where they do have a choice of topics, within the larger umbrella of the major topic of the unit of study.  Having teachers flexible enough to be willing to follow the interest of the students is quite empowering for them.  Students are not used to this type of thinking, neither are the teachers.  They are used to being told what to do and to be able to change this culture will take time.

I would like to go to other sessions since I thought it was useful and positive.