Transition from grade 6 to grade 3

The transition from teaching grade 6 to grade 3 is not easy.  My frame of mind needs to be very different.  To help myself be in that mode, I used a book of “contines” with my students.    Here is the link to that book.

http://www.archambault.ca/collectif-mes-premieres-chansons-t0150-dessins-animes-et-activites-ACH003344704-fr-pr

I thought the book is good in the beginning of the year to set a fun mood in the class.  The book has several pictures, writing of first songs and most interestingly a CD with all the songs both in instrumental and signing version.  The song is also animated and there is writing at the bottom that help learning and memorizing the songs.  The songs are also well known in the French world, so it provides a French culture.  The rhythm of the songs is attractive.  Most of all, the songs provide a fun way to review vocabulary and allow students to practice correct pronounciation.  Most students were very interested and captivated by the songs.  I used it at the end of the day and I could see, most students were looking intently and singing along.  We had a fire drill, on the way back from the fire drill, the students were saying the song out loud, already memorized.

Some boys did not seem to be captivated.  One of them called this torture.  I asked him to choose the next song, he liked the idea and was following along afterwards.