Comparing coding apps for primary/junior grades

Here is a list of coding tools applicable for the elementary level.  They were rated by Graphite and by teachers.

https://www.graphite.org/top-picks/best-coding-tools-for-elementary

I am looking at the apps for the iPad because we have iPads in our school and for the early years, iPads provide the tactile element and the mobility element that computers and laptops do not have.  Mind you, with the Puffin browser, web-based applications can be used on the iPad as well.

I looked at Kodable, Scratch Jr, My Robot Friend, and Hopscotch.

With Kodable, My Robot Friend, and Scratch Jr students can learn the same computational thinking behind LOGO.  This means they will learn to advance a few steps, turn, advance a few more steps and turn again.  This is good for JK-2.  They are fun to use.  I find Kodable and My Robot Friend quite expensive for what you get.  There is a lot of sounds and pictures.  It sort of look cool and appealing but really expensive for what you get.   Scratch Jr. on the other hand is free.  There is less bells and whistles but students get to be creative.  From an early age, they can draw picture backgrounds, record their voice, imagine stories, and write them.  It uses a fuller range of skills and would appeal to many types of learners.   The Scratch Jr. is free and would get my rating of 5/5.

From all my work with Hopscotch, any one would know I like it a lot.  Hopscotch is 2 years old and changing.  It recently added sound and it would be nice if in newer versions it could also add the record sound command which it does not have yet.

Kodable 2/5

My Robot Friend 2/5

Scratch Jr. 5/5 (Grades JK-2)

Hopscotch 4.5/5 (Grades 2-8)

I also like Cargo bot. It is a game that teaches computational thinking.   There are many levels.  It is still a more advanced form of LOGO.  Quite interesting.  Students just play and learn the basics of computational thinking.

For a teacher who does not know anything about coding and would still like help students, I would recommend Cargo Bot.  I would give it 4/5 for that purpose.

Otherwise my recommendation remain Scratch JR, and Hopscotch for the iPad.  Both apps allow the teacher to link the student work to many aspects of the curriculum while allowing the students to be creative.

Scratch is also a 5/5 but it is for the computer and not the iPad.